A warm Welcome to the Renthof Kassel

Since its reopening in June 2017, the historic Renthof Kassel has been a modern boutique hotel with exclusive gastronomy, a bar and several individual event locations.

For this contemporary use, the building, which was originally built as a Carmelite monastery in 1298, was completely refurbished in keeping with the monuments of history and under the preservation of the architecture and history of the house.

The house now offers a unique atmosphere characterized by the interplay of the historical elements and the modern design of the interior, which the owners have selected individually and carefully for each building area.

History & Stories since 1298

1298

The Monastery

Disillusioned crusaders gather in the mid 12th century at the ancient Mount Carmel in Palestine and devote themselves to the founding of a hermit community. The expansion of the Saracens forces the Order of the Carmelites back to Europe. Landgrave Heinrich the I. calls the order to settle in Kassel in 1262. They buy a house from a Jewish woman called Rachel and start building a church and monastery in 1298 – a project that would last for the next 78 years, todays „Renthof“, the location for our hotel.
1595

The Gentry school

The reformation forces the closing of the Roman Catholic monastery – the first closure of it´s kind. Landgrave Maurice the Learned, a composer, lover of music, theater, art in general, architecture and alchemy redesigns the monastery into a gentry school where the renowned composer Heinrich Schuetz received his first education.
>> image: original class schedule from 1595
1617

The Knight Academy

The Gentry school is transformed into a Knight Academy
<< image: Original Magazine report about the knight academy from 1918
1633

The University

In the midst of the Thirty Year’s War the University of Marburg opens it´s Kassel branch in the north-west wing of the building complex.
1670

The Administration/Court

From the 2nd half of the 17th century the building complex houses many royal administrations as an expansion of the chambers at the river Fulda. From now on the building complex is called „Renthof“.

Bild: land-registry photography from 1898 - today´s entry into our hotel

1943

Home for elderly people

Allied Air forces bombard the City of Kassel with 400.000 firebombs falling in 1.5 hrs. 80% of all buildings including the whole historic center are destroyed. 10.000 people die. The only partly destroyed „Renthof” is rebuilt by the Society for Wellbeing as a retreat for the elderly .
1995

Old Brother´s church

1995 the foundation „Alte Brüderkirche“ renovates the early gothic church after it has been left by the congregation in 1970. The historical church serves as a extraordinary event space which Rainer Holzhauer and his team cater to.

Partner

Kontakt/Contact

Renthof Kassel

Adresse/Adress
Renthof GmbH
Renthof 3
34117 Kassel
Germany

Telefon/Phone
+49 (0)561 50668 0

eMail:
info@renthof-kassel.de